If you are thinking about promoting your products in South Korea, using some form of advertising, then Google Shopping is the right choice to make. Since South Korea supports also English as a language this would be a fine destination for your products, even if you are not located in South Korea.
Let's see what is needed!
What you need to know before targeting South Korea
There are 2 criteria that need to be met if you plan to target KOR:
- Language on site: Korean (or English)
- Prices on ads: KRW - South Korean Won (₩)
Although those are the general rules, let’s have a look at 2 different cases:
Case #1: Your store is located in South Korea and you already sell in South Korea
Well, you are almost ready. Just create a Feed for Google Shopping (check some specific details at the end of the article). Then create your campaigns and start selling using Google Shopping!
Case #2: Your store is not located in South Korea
Targeting South Korea for PLA ads is possible, even if you are not located in South Korea. Make sure to comply with the following checklist:
- Language: Your site must have an English or, even better, a Korean version. Also you should submit a feed in the corresponding language.
- Currency: Optimally use South Korean Won. If you don't support this option yet, hopefully, Google has the solution for you. Submit the feed with your local currency (eg. EUR) and let Google do the conversion for you.
- Prices: Any price that you show on your website and checkout must be the same in the currency you used on the feed. For example, if you submit a feed with Euro then keep all the prices on your site in Euro.
- Shipping: The same rule applies also to the currency on your shipping. Just keep it consistent and make sure to include it. Shipping is required for South Korea!
- Taxes: Follow the tax requirements of the country you’ve chosen native for the currency.
Are showcase ads available in South Korea? - No
While Showcase Ads are available in 17 countries, South Korea is not on the list yet. Hopefully, it will be available sometime.
Differences in the policies if you target South Korea
In general, to display PLA ads you must satisfy the Google Shopping Ads Policies. But when it comes to the South Korea marketplace, the following points, in particular, need to be taken into consideration:
- Alcohol - No. Google does not allow the promotion of Alcohol in South Korea.
- Healthcare and Medicines - In South Korea, Google doesn’t allow the promotion of the following products:
a. Abortion, abortion-inducing drugs, and the "morning after" pill
b. Birth control. This means that you won't be able to advertise condoms or other contraception products.
c. Contact lenses
- Adult-oriented content - In South Korea, you won't be able to show ads with content that is sexually suggestive (like images showcasing exposed skin or nudity).
- Political content - Google doesn't allow the advertisement of political candidates or parties.
If you are just starting out with Google Shopping, continue by reading the Google shopping setup guide and start showing PLAs South Korea!